Thursday, June 3, 2010


Top 5 Police Blunders Of The Week: Former Police Chief George Hayden Murdered Lover's Husband
By Denise Grollmus in Lists, Police bungling Thursday, Jun. 3 2010 @ 9:00AM2

​Today's edition of Top 5 Police Blunders Of The Week brings you the story of George Hayden, a former chief of police, who was recently given life in prison after he was found guilty of murdering the man who was married to the woman he loved...

It took 37 years, but George Hayden is finally behind bars for the atrocious murder he committed in 1972.
Back then, Hayden was a fresh-faced Marine hoping to reconnect with his high school sweetheart from Ohio.

That's when he drove out to North Carolina, where she was living, only to realize she was already married to another Marine, still, that didn't stop Hayden.

While Vickie Babbitt's husband, William Miller, was away serving in Okinawa, Hayden swooped in and easily wooed the new mother.

He moved into her home, which she owned with Miller and even began forging Miller's checks.
When Miller returned from overseas, he wasn't happy to find a new man in his place. He promptly gave Hayden a much deserved ass kicking before tossing him out of his home.

Hayden swore he'd get his revenge.

Despite the fact that Vickie followed him, Hayden wasn't going to let the incident go. Miller, who'd already lost custody of two daughters in a previous marriage, wasn't going to let Vickie take away their 1-year-old daughter either.

As Miller built a custody case against his estranged wife as well as a fraud case against Hayden, the couple were devising their own devious plan.

In September 1972, Vickie called up Miller and asked him to come meet her. Less than 20 minutes later, he was found dead in street, two bullets from an M-16 in his chest.

Detectives knew that Hayden was the culprit, but they could never gather enough evidence to build a case.

For the next forty years, Hayden did well for himself, too. He married Vickie and though they later got divorced, they always kept in touch. He also became the chief of police in Cape Carteret as well as Belhaven, North Carolina.

Still, every few years, detectives would come around asking where he was the night of Miller's murder.

But it wasn't until 2008, when law enforcement received new evidence and testimony from witnesses that they were able to finally charge Hayden, as well as Vickie, with Miller's murder.

Last week, after a jury found him guilty of first-degree murder, Hayden was sentenced to life in prison.

No comments:

Post a Comment