Sunday, April 12, 2009

PROUD MILLER WOMAN


I felt the need to post a response by brother David's wife Debbie. She had a hard time reading all of the responses to various posts on the Dateline blog, by people who get sidetracked by other non-essentials. They seem to miss the point about the message the story is telling. There were several negative remarks about the Dateline story, which is to be expected, people are entitled to their opinion, but then so are we.

Here is her response. I too am proud she is a Miller woman


I met my husband - Billy's brother - just about two weeks after he attended Billy's funeral. I never got to meet my brother-in-law, but I was a first-hand witness to the devastation his murder evoked. Through the years I have seen the scars left behind on all of the family members, especially the ones who had the privilege of knowing William Donald Miller. I know that "the devil is in the details," but I am greatly disappointed to see the number of people focussed on the name that appears on the tombstone at Arlington National Cemetary. There is a very simple explanation ... William Donald Miller (Wendy's father) was named after his father, William Kenneth Miller (Wendy's grandfather). She visited both grave sites - not such a bizarre behavior for someone trying to re-establish her relationship with her father's family. What I do find bizarre is that so many would miss the point ... there is a grave that contains the body of Wendy's, Tammy's, and Kim's father, who was stolen from their lives by a murderer.


As for Keith Morrison's questions ... There were litterally hours of interview time. I believe he knew the answer to that question before it was posed to the girls. He simply tried to lead them into telling the viewing public - in their own words - why it is important to them. This story was about the grief of three daughters and a sister that have waited 36 years to see someone brought to trial ... and the story is not over. There are three trials coming soon in which the accused murderers will have the opportunity to present a defense. Maybe at that time a story could be done about those accused of the murder. Until then, I am very proud of the way the Miller women told their side of the story. I applaud Wendy for holding up under the pressure of knowing that her mother ... the mother that she grew up loving and trusting ... is accused of murdering her father.

I am impressed by a young woman who had the courage to tell her newly discovered sister the story of their father's murder. And, I am amazed at the tenacity of a woman that spent 36 years following every avenue she could locate to keep open the investigation that would lead to an arrest of the suspect(s) that robbed her (and the rest of her family) of the brother she loved.I only married into this family, but I am proud to be a Miller woman!

No comments:

Post a Comment